M478 Proximity Incendiary Mines are an unlockable Equipment slot item, acquired at level 16 and specific to Officers. Incendiary mines, unlike Trip Mines, can only be placed on the ground. When they detonate, they create a wall of flames that will ignite anything that passes through them. The Explosives Bonus skill increases the firewall's duration (20 seconds with Sarge, 30 with Jaeger) and its size.
- Detonates like a regular mine, but also creates a firewall for area denial
- A single firewall will kill all aliens on contact, from a Drone to a Shieldbug, on any difficulty setting
- Efficient area denial
- Can only be carried by Officers
- May set yourself or allies on fire
- The full wall may not deploy if an obstacle (like a fellow marine) is in its path
An five piece set of M478 Proximity Incendiary Mines is standard issue for any N.C.O. rank marine. These mines are placed and calibrated in the field and once activated will detonate when any creature matching target specifications comes near. Upon detonation, highly flammable napalm is released in a line to either side of the mine, both killing the victim and tactically denying the area to further foes.
- When used, the mines should be placed separately, as one firewall will kill all swarm that pass through it on any difficulty.
- Choke points, such as doors and narrow hallways, are excellent locations for incendiary mines because they limit the probability that an alien circumnavigates the fire.
- The spread pattern of the firewall depends on the direction that the Officer is facing when the mine is deployed; the fire will cover a line that is perpendicular to the Officer's laser sight. In other words, the line will block the way you are facing, so do not place a mine while facing the wall if you want it to cover a corridor. Turn in the direction of the corridor instead to ensure maximum coverage.
- Consider warning your fellow marines when and where you are placing incendiary mines to reduce the chance of friendly fire.
- You can roll through a firewall to avoid ignition.
- Placing mines at every entrance of the hacking room in Deima Surface Bridge can render the room nigh-impenetrable.
- In Cargo Elevator, placing one below the activation panel on the elevator allows the entire squad to hide in the small alcove behind the wall of flames. On Hard difficulty or lower, this will prevent all enemies from harming you; simply deploy a new mine when the previous one expires.